Scala Software Engineer
Range: [$160k, $200k+] Jersey City, NJ Full-time
This opportunity is on-site in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Confidential talent search for a public company, one of the best-known names in the gambling industry. State-by-state legislation of online gambling is happening quickly and the tech HQ in Jersey City is run like a well-funded startup.
Open Position: Scala Software Engineer
You should be proficient in Scala and functional programming or very excited about learning (a background in other functional languages like Haskell, OCaml, Clojure, F# is acceptable).
- Experience as a backend developer using a functional programming language.
- Knowledge of database systems, including solid understanding of SQL and NoSQL.
- Significant experience writing autonomous, services-oriented RESTful APIs as well as performance-tuning large-scale applications.
- Leadership potential, transitioning smoothly into Team Lead
Current tech stack is built on Scala, Java Spring Boot, AWS, and React. Knowing all of these in detail isn't a requirement; they're happy to train you so long as you have a desire to learn.
Extremely family-friendly; great benefits. Yes, relocation for this role. No visa processing. You will need to successfully complete a background and drug screen.
There is a daily triage meeting among HR at 9:15-9:30 regarding submitted candidates. The relevant Hiring Manager reviews and okays any CVs to begin the process:
- First step is the interview process is a behavioral screen with the head of HR.
- Then there is a 30min, remote technical screen; live shared screen coding challenge.
- Then there is a 4h onsite (2 behavioral interviews; 2 technical interviews). The behavioral interviews are all STAR - describe Situation that you were in, explain the Task you had to complete, describe the Actions you took to complete the task, and then provide the Result of your efforts.
- They then aim for 24h turnaround in offer making
In the interviews, they want people to readily admit what you don’t know - no BS. Anything on the CV is fair game. They want to see customer empathy, product-centric, bias-to-action; people with backbones, who take ownership. If they’re lacking in any of these dimensions they should show being able to make it up in coachability.
Please send a thoughtful email, with your resume in pdf format, to firstname.lastname@example.org